We're movin' by bike!
We are unbelievably excited to be moving to a bigger, brighter and more accessible space this month. But, before we can get excited about setting up the new space, we need move out of our current one. We are planning to move most of the shop by bike and we wanted to invite you too.
Why are we moving by bike? First and foremost, because it will be fun. Moving can be kind of a drag, but based on other bike moves we've participated in, moving by bike turns a frustrating and tiresome experience into fun event. It's a good chance to meet new people, help out a friend, get some exercise, show off your sweet bike, and be a part of something pretty neat. Also, this is an opportunity for Gladys Bikes to practice what we preach: Bikes are great for exercise and for sport, but they can be much more than that. They're transportation; they're recreation, and they have the capacity to cultivate communities and sustain neighborhoods. A move by bike really represents all that. So, without further ado, here are the details:
Saturday, May 3, 2014, 11am-2pm. We'll meet at the current Gladys location at 11am and head out from here.
3808 N Williams Ave to 2905 NE Alberta Street
Answers to anticipated FAQs:
- You don't need a trailer to participate. Trailers are going to be useful to move some bigger items, but there's plenty of smaller items that need moving too. A rack on your bike would be helpful, but even a backpack would be great!
- There will be coffee and donuts at our current space, and delicious food (vegan and otherwise) upon arrival.
- Yes! There will be prizes and a raffle. I'll be giving away a free fit ($100 value), a Cleverhood rain cape ($260 value) and a Terry saddle ($110 value) to a few lucky winners.
- It's a 2 mile ride. There's one major(ish) intersection to cross at MLK and Going, but other than that the ride will be incredibly mellow, almost entirely flat and on wide, low-car bikeways throughout.
- Please do invite your friends. The more, the merrier!
- Yes, you can indeed participate even if you don't own a bike! We have bikes that need to be moved and it would be great to have people ride them over.
We hope to see some of you there!
xo, The Gladys Bikes Gang
p.s. Curious to learn more about moving by bike? Check out How to Move By Bike by the unstoppable Steph Routh.